Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Hockey and Music

After a weekend that involved me doing a whole lot of nothing and spending lots of time on AllofMP3.com, I decided there were a few new albums I needed to purchase. Conveniently, there is a Tower Records across the street from my office, so I can buy new music and then listen to it while I'm at work. The good news was everything was 15% off, which brings the prices down from too high to reasonable. The bad news is it is because the store is going out of business, so I'll actually need to do marginal legwork to new music (yeah, I'm lazy).

CD1: Deftones - B-Sides and Rarities. I'm giving it 4 stars. Solid disc top to bottom. My favorite tracks are "Wax and Wane" and "No Ordinary Love" (that's right, Deftones doing Sade, rock on). It also has a DVD of all the Deftones music videos. After watching it tonight, it seems that I've never seen a Deftones music video in my life, because I didn't recognize any of them. I'll have to bust out White Pony and the second self-titled album to see what was on those discs because they were both enhanced and I thought they had music videos.

CD2: Postal Service - Give Up. I'll with 3 stars for this one. I have a feeling this cd will sort of mark the end of the mellow/emo-ish phase I've been in for the past year or so. This cd is basically Death Cab for Cutie, only instead of a band, its 2 guys (one of which is Death Cab's lead singer) and a lot of electronics. The cd's best songs are at the beginning, and then the rest of it is good background stuff, but nothing really grabs you. The best song I think is "The District Sleeps Tonight"

In other news one of my old coworkers from Bristol, who now works for the NHL sent me an IM Monday afternoon if I wanted to go to the Rangers games. (Hmmm, go home and work out, or go out and watch hockey and drink beer, guess which one won.) It was the first time I had ever been to MSG. It's very blah. It doesn't really have a personality. It's relatively clean, and it looks like it is set up pretty well so there are good seats most everywhere, but there is nothing particularly memorable about the building. However, I feel I may going to these games relatively often, since last minute tickets will probably be relatively common for him, and the other hockey fans he know would practically need to leave work in CT as soon as he asked if they wanted to go, and I can work a full day. I love living in NYC. There is some song the play after the Rangers score that I'm going to have to learn I think. It's certainly no Brass Bonanza, but it will have to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home