Sunday, March 12, 2006

Will move, moving, moved.

Sorry about my blog hiatus, but its been a busy week with the whole moving to New York thing, and as such, I'm going to be a bit more long winded than normal.

OK, most of you probably are not familiar with an incident I had the post office earlier this year that put them on my shit list. I tried to priority mail my ticket application to the Fiesta Bowl, and it took 4 days for the "2-3 day priority mail" so I didn't even get entered in the lottery. Anyway, they reaffirmed their place on said shit list this past week. My new roommate tried to express mail the keys to the apartment to me. They show up during the day and leave one of those brown slips in my mailbox saying there is a package available for you. I go to the post office the next morning and give them the slip, and they say, "Oh this is for the Hartford post office." All I can think is, I live in East Hartford, why is my package in Hartford. Whatever, they'll leave another slip today, and I'll look up on the Internet tonight the directions to eh Hartford office.

So I get another slip and look up the location of the Hartford office. When I go there in the morning, I take a closer look at the slip, and notice the address on that is for an East Hartford office. Shit. Alright, I know where the East Hartford post office is, so I go back to the one that is on my street, and they say, oh this is for the post office on Silver Lane. Right. I have no idea where that one is either, and now I really need to get myself to work. I call the Silver lane office and ask if they can just leave it on my doorstep. "No it's priority mail, and if the sender didn't sign the box, then we can't do that." Right, because it's quicker to keep attempting to deliver and then move it form one post office to another instead of leaving at the place I come home to every day.

Anyway, Friday comes, they day I move to NY. Now, this package I cannot retrieve happens to have the keys to my new apartment, which I kind of need if I am going to let the movers in. I call the post office in the morning to make sure that it hasn't changed locations again, and they say yes it is here. Cool. At least it’s not going anywhere. Anyway after all my stuff is packed and the movers are on their way to NY, I go the post office to pick it up. Now, somewhere in the moving the brown slip has been lost, which shouldn't be a big deal as long as I have a photo ID. Now in the post office I hand them my ID, ask for the package, and tell them that it is a priority mail. The guy says ok, and looks on the shelf behind him and doesn't see anything. He then goes around back to check and comes up tells me they don’t seem to have it. I tell them that it was there when I called this morning. He then goes around back again to look. The female post office work to my right asks "You said it was priority mail right?" I reply in the affirmative, and she picks up an envelope that was right behind the counter and calls the dipshit in the back who clearly lacks auditory skills and who was making me nervous as to what had happened to my keys. Anything of importance will be FedEx-ed for the rest of my life. I hate people, but postal service employees are the only ones I wish to kill.

Anyway, Friday was the big move day. I must say, it is pretty damn cool to have someone come and move all your stuff for you. It was kind of funny to watch the mover go through my desk and discover the stupid toys I have hidden away. It was also kinda nice to sit back and watch everyone else do the work and not have to worry if my collarbone is back up to full strength :-)

I had my car in the city for one night. It was awful. I thought I would miss my car, but after driving it around just to get in, and out of the city, I never want to drive in NY ever again. It makes driving in Boston look easy.

Apartment notes: I have no blinds. I could deal with this, as I’m somewhat of an exhibitionist. However my room faces east, and at 7 am yesterday I decided that acquiring blinds is quickly moving up the priority list as my bed was doused in sunlight. The showerhead hangs straight down from the ceiling. My roommate loves it, but I don't think it does it for me. There are some other quirks, but nothing major. I just need to contact my uncle n NJ and work some free storage.

That's all for the moment. I'll try not to blog this long ever again.

Songs: "Wild Thing" - The Troggs, "Awake" - Godsmack, Ozzy, "These Eyes" - Guess Who, “Stuck in the Middle with You” – Bob Dylan, “You Wouldn’t Believe” (Acoustic) - 311

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home