Sunday, February 26, 2006

Master of efficiency

So last weekend I decided to buy a TV for my new apartment, since the little 13 inch just isn't going to cut it for my viewing pleasure. So I went to Best Buy and bought 27 inch Toshiba. Since I drive a little Grand Am coupe, The TV had to be removed from its box to fit into my car. So I go home and see if I can move it myself out of my car. I decide its a little too big and awkward to move by myself so I start to walk up my back porch to get my roommate to help. As she steps out the door, I hear a loud BANG behind me. I turn around to discover my brand new TV lying face down on my driveway. Shit. I pick it up and take a look at it. The screen itself appears to be fine, but there is some significant scratching on the outside casing. Well, I bring it inside and plug it in and turn it on to see if it still works, which it does. Whew.

As the week goes by I sit down and doing some significant TV watching and notice there are funky colors all around the edge of the screen. Damn. I now need to pull of some shadiness to return this thing.

So yesterday I go to return it, with my cover story being "I scratched it bringing it into my house." (On an aside, I like to think of myself as an honest person, but I couldn't help thinking about the quote from Pirates of the Caribbean "Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.") Anyway, I get to Best Buy and I can't find the remote. Damn, now I have to drive back home to get it. I must have left it sitting next to the door. And I also forgot to go to the good will bin to donate some clothes I no longer have need for. So I go to the goodwill bin, first, and then get back on the highway to go to Best Buy (again). At this point I start wondering where exactly I fall on the moral compass when one donates clothes to charity and tries to con a major electronics chain for a new TV because of my own ineptness. While in the middle of this little quandary I realize I have now driven well past my house and need to turn around and go back for the remote I still don't' have.

So I get home and walk inside and look for the remote right were my roommate said she put it. Unfortunately its not there. Damn. So I look in the living room. Not there either. Not good. Well, maybe it did put it in my car. So I dig through the folded box I have in my trunk for the TV, and discovered the remote stuck in there. It's a good thing gas is cheap. Wait.......

Anyway, I get back to Best Buy and bring my TV in and ask to exchange, with the box, remote, and receipt. They just ask what's wrong with it. "There are funny colors around the edge of the screen." "Ok" they say, just get the one you want to exchange it with and bring it up here. Hmm...that was easy. So I make the exchange with no questions asked (don't ask don't tell ;-)).

Once home The TV was successfully moved without incident in my living room, and works beautifully.

...and there was much rejoicing.

songs: Punk Rawk Show - MXPX, YEAH TOAST!, Power Trip - Monster Magnet

1 Comments:

At 2/27/2006 8:26 PM, Blogger Brian South said...

Nice post. Goodwill+Ripping off Best Buy=irony. Irony=good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home