Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Final Tourney notes

Congrats to UConn for holding of 12 seeded WVU. I was kind of torn the whole game because I grew up a UConn fan, but it was so exciting to see a 12 seed give it their all and hang with them. I left before the awards, but Ann Strother should in the MVP. UConn would have lost without her. I also realize why UConn isn't quite as dominant as they were in the past. Their top 2 point guards both of too much A.I. in them, which never really works. Sure they can create a lot, but a shoot first point guard will never win you a championship.

More band stuff. The National Anthem wasn't sung at any of the sessions prior tonight. Whoever the visiting band was played it. I liked it. There was no stupid improv or diva-ness to it. It was just done straight, clean and to the point. I wish it was always done that way. Alas, they got some diva wannabe to do it tonight. As I heard her sing, all I could think about was how much Daniel C. Stowe would have hated all of her vowels.

Mascots. I've decided the plush mascots suck. They're just way too goofy. I never really thought about it until I saw DePaul's blue devil, but they really suck. Give me a Leprechaun or a Mountaineer any day. This led to a conversation I had with my friend Lauren who attended this evening's game with me:

Lauren: Honestly, who do you think would win in a fight: a dog or a mountaineer?
Me: The guy with the gun.
Lauren: That's ridiculous. You can't hit anything with a musket.
Me: You don't need to be very accurate at point blank range.

(Just ask Dick Cheney.) *not part of the conversation, but it would have been really clever if I had thought of it at the time.

Also, on a related note, the mountaineer nearly took out the woman who sang the National Anthem. For some strange reason she was walking all over the civic center. She happened to walk in front of the WVU ban during a timeout, and the mountaineer started waving his musket around to cheer as she walked up behind him. She was inches from getting clocked in the head. I would have laughed my ass of if this had happened. This is because I'm a dick and I think people getting hurt is funny. :-)

Music: various Led Zepplin, "Tuesday's Gone" - Lynyrd Skynard.

1 Comments:

At 3/11/2006 12:34 PM, Blogger Brian South said...

"Give me a Leprechaun or a Mountaineer any day."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home