Thursday, July 13, 2006

Doctor, Doctor!

So, with the move to NY, I had to get a new doctor. I really don't care for going to the doctor since I'm not a big fan of "preventative maintenance." That and I think I'm cool with dying at 60. However, in the event I do actually need one, it would be nice to skip the small talk and get to the "what hell is wrong with you" part of the conversation. Anyway, I had stepped on a scale at a friend's house in CT the night after camp, and it said that I was about 184, which was about 10 lbs higher than were I'm comfortable being at, but not surprising considering that I've gone up a waist size in the past 6-12 months. But, it was a bathroom scale, so I suppose its reliability was a little on the questionable side, and I new I was going to the doctor soon so I figured. Anyway, when I got on the in the doctor’s office, it said 169.5. My reaction was WTF? How the hell do I lose wait and increase waist size. I don't understand.

Anyway, I asked around and none of my coworkers seemed to be big fans of their doctors so I was on my own in that front. My roommate suggested one, but it was way downtown, and just generally really inconvenient to get to. So, I took a roll of the dice and used the following criteria: who's close to my office, and whom do I want holding my nuts when I turn my head and cough. I ended up with a woman who is virtually across the street from my office.

The only problem was, at the time of the appointment, I didn't know this. I just knew she was on the same street as my office. At this point in time, I also did not have a grasp of what direction addresses increased and decreased. So I started by walking away from Central Park, since the street I'm on convenient has 60 located after 77, and I assumed the numbers would continue to decrease if I walked in said direction. Of course I had to cross at the intersection of Broadway and Columbus so I needed to walk a good block in the wrong direction before I realized that I went the wrong way. Once said realization was made I turned around and walked in the correct direction. (Now I know how the addresses work at least, it’s kind of like the exit numbers on CT highways.)

Anyway I've also learned that I apparently have high blood pressure, which is new for me. Maybe it means I should not take in 3 times the amount of salt I need during the course of the week. Of course it might also have to do with my power walking to the office and barely making it on time (I also left my book in my cube the first time I tried to leave and I went back for it). Another possibility is that I was just wishing my doctor was a cougar and would jump me, but unfortunately this wasn't the case. Stupid reality. Anyway, I go back in a month to see if it was just a bad day or something. Hopefully it was since I've never had high blood pressure before.

I'll leave you with this final thought:
Gristedes, you can't buy a hot dog made from pork, but you can buy up to 3 different varieties of KY jelly.

2 Comments:

At 7/15/2006 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

muscle weights 3x as much as fat, so it is possible to lose muscle and gain fat, making you go up a waist size and lose a little weight... that's why i hate it when diets stictly track by weight...damn you atkins!(for many reasons) People think I'm like 110-120, but I'm actually 140-150. for an example of muscle-fat differences...that and i'm a narrcisist :D anyways, as a sports med major, i'm free, uncertified advice.

-Tucker

 
At 7/16/2006 12:48 AM, Blogger ndheathen said...

...so what you're saying is i should listen to the person with a doctorate....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home