Friday, July 07, 2006

"...and what counts a special occaision?"

"A Friday."

Sorry for not blogging much. A friend of mine asked me to help out with a play doing set changes and what have you, and consequently I have not gotten home until 1 or later most nights this week, and I haven't even turned on my computer. The name of the play is The Cripple of Inishmaan. It's pretty much a dramady. The whole play seems funny, but then the main character dies in the end. I can't tell what actually happens, since I've never actually seen it, but I have listened to most of it from backstage. For those of you wondering why I'm doing this (other than the fact I was asked) is that this seemed like a good opportunity to get to know people in the city, and actually develop a group of friends instead of having a few individual friends, none of whom actually know each other. That and they're paying me in beer, and let’s be honest, I can be bought for less.

In other news, despite being a short work week, this week sucked (from a work perspective). I made some fantastic efforts to shoot myself in the foot if I ever want to advance my career in this company. The worst probably being dozing off in the meeting I was in yesterday. Apparently people above me (which is pretty much anyone who's not an intern) caught me and had a chat with my supervisor. This in conjunction with other things just made for a craptacular work week. Now these things weren't entirely my fault, though for the most part, yeah, I was the jackass. Way to fuck yourself buddy.

This is definitely one of those weeks I wish I was a college student still, where sleeping in class was pretty common. I think my worse offenses occurred in Theology 100 where I had a tendency to show up a little late; with the first row being the only row open by the time arrived. Combine this with the class being right after lunch, and a professor who tended to repeat at least a third of the lecture he gave the previous class, every time in a class the required attendance, yeah, it was bad. The worst part probably was the fact that I wasn't even subtle about it. I would take my jacket and just but it on the counter/desk-thing and just put my head on it. In the meeting I didn't think I dozed that badly, but apparently I did.

In talking with people who have "grown up" and say they can't party like they used to, I question whether or not this is actually the case. I think they just need to get up at 7 (or earlier) everyday, and actually need to pay attention to what goes on around them. What great irony that we finally have the money to party like we want, but we no longer have the time or schedules that permit it.

I've also discovered that while I do kinda like my job, I just don’t care about my department. Sales and marketing is just not my thing. All I really need is a half hour synopsis on a few different aspects of the industry, and after that my mind is checking out. I like to make things work. I hate selling them. If I'm ever a CEO, sales and marketing will definitely be a part of the company that I delegate responsibilities to so I can do as little as possible with it.

Speaking of growing up, punctuality was never one of my finer qualities, but sometime after graduation, I become ridiculously punctual, to the point where I'm highly annoyed if anyone is more than 30 seconds late. I'm not sure when this happened, but it's kind of annoying since I seem to be the only punctual person I know (or at least that I deal with on a daily basis). This may have something to do with the fact that I don't entirely have a feel on how long it takes to get to one place from another in NYC, so I tend to give myself a little more time than what I probably need.

I had more, but I forgot it, cause it 5:30 on a Friday afternoon, and my mind and body are starting to yell at me for still being in the office. That and I think this entry is probably disjointed enough already.

1 Comments:

At 7/07/2006 7:10 PM, Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I'm not a fan of the word dramady.

I'm punctual, too, and I am intolerant of tardiness. As a high school teacher, I can assure you, I deal with tardiness all the time. Kids hate how I'm a tardy nazi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home