Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Leftovers and World Cup

I came home yesterday to find a tag hanging on my door with a business card for a recruiter in the Marines. I'm 24 years old and I can afford to live in New York City, why would I want to join the marines? Oh, I should mention that it was addressed to a "Garrett Wilson." Let's see, you got the first and last letters of my name right, and there is also an s and an o in my last name, but they're in different places, and the number of middle letters is wrong too. Good try though! I suppose this should be expected since I have a BS, and I dominated the ASVAB (even if it was 6 years ago). Being a Republican probably doesn't help either. Little do they know my plan is to make millions and "influence" military decisions, and not ever do any of the actual dirty work myself.

I also got a book sent to me from my parents. The real odd thing was that it wasn't in my mailbox, and I discovered it in front of my door as I was about to go out last night. Anyway the book is called Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. (Anyone from club will find this title even funnier.) Seems like it would be pretty funny. I think I'll put it at number 2 on my list of books to read, right after The Da Vinci Code. (Speaking of which, if you're from NY and you happen to own a copy, I'd love to borrow it.)

As for World Cup, before the tournament I would have picked Brazil to win, but now after seeing almost every team play, I'm going to pick Spain. They DOMINATED the Ukraine today. Either that or (wait for it) the Ukraine is weak. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.) Germany also won, which means at least one of the teams I'm rooting for will make it to the second round.

3 Comments:

At 6/15/2006 10:19 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Haven't read Lamb, but Christopher Moore is one of my very favorite authors: Cynical, sarcastic, wildly satirical, witty, intelligent, culturally informed, and just frickin' hilarious.

A little suspension of disbelief is required with all his novels, but it's in the same vein as Douglas Adams: it's not REAL sci fi in that you're supposed to believe it's plausible, it's just a little out there in its premise.

 
At 6/16/2006 12:04 AM, Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

You can afford to live in NYC, but you can't afford to get your own damn copy of the DaVinci Code?

And you're Republican? Hmmm... I need to rethink some things....

 
At 6/16/2006 6:18 PM, Blogger ndheathen said...

sue ellen, I hate people and I'm opposed to spending money. That's why I'm a repulican (though I'm pretty moderate). Along the not wanting ot spend money lines is me not wanting to invest the $3.50 in the book. That, and i figure like half the world already owns it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home