Friday, May 26, 2006

Bristol Road Trip

I wish I could do this every day!

Well my trip started this morning, thankfully what seemed to be after the main morning rush hour, so traffic was pretty light. I actually go lost leaving New York, for reason I will explain later, but I ended up getting lost in Yonkers (ha ha), but did the guy thing and didn't ask for directions, and ended up getting back to the highway I needed to be on. Hooray for having a good sense of direction (a rental car with a compass is also a plus). I ended up getting to Bristol a little early and stopped up by Building B where all the .com peeps are and making rounds and saying hi to everyone who hasn’t quit.

I was really looking forward to being able to expense my lunch; of course this just happened to be the one-day out of the year that the cafeteria in Bristol was free. This was due to Marriage Madness that was going down on campus. (For those of you who haven't turned into old men, there is an explanation of this here.) Anyway, I got my free lunch, and got to see the Gin Blossoms perform live. If you're saying "What? They're still together?" you're not alone. I said the same. I was actually more shocked when they announced a song as their "new single." Sure guys, good luck with that.

Anyway, my purpose for going to Bristol was a 4-hour orientation follow up meeting. I thought it was going to be a complete waste of my time like my first orientation meeting (because those are so useful when you're already worked for the company for a year and a half), but it was actually pretty good. The best part was when they asked about the pro's and con's of the hiring process. Oh wow was that a can of worms. I think almost everyone in the room hand good stuff to lay into HR about. My own personal disaster of getting hired coming just before I started blogging. They also gave out good practical career advice on how to do things like get raises. Very good all around.

Unfortunately, people weren't available to hang out with after work, but at least there was some interest from people. I can't get New York people to do tat unless I request that from everyone like a week ahead of time. I do miss working with people who you could jsut ask "hey, want to get a drink after work?" and actually get people to participate.

The drive back was very smooth, and I did it by reverse following the directions that got my lost on the way up to Bristol. I discovered the reason I got lost was that out of nowhere Parkway names just change, for no real apparent reason, which is why I got confused and lost. But at least it was a simple drive.

Now if only I knew people in NY I could go out and be social.

6 Comments:

At 5/27/2006 11:46 AM, Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

"got to" see Gin Blossoms? More like "had to" see Gin Blossoms.

I wish there was an HR in my school just so I could blame stuff on "HR." It sounds so corporate chic.

You need to move South to your "Less Frequent Bloggers" category. He sucks.

 
At 5/27/2006 11:57 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

You're just jealous because you CAN'T get eProps w/blogger :-P

It's okay, eProp envy is an entirely understandable condition.

 
At 5/27/2006 3:25 PM, Blogger ndheathen said...

sue ellen - I think you may be right. 2 of the less frequent bloggers have updated their blogs since southie's last post. What the hell happened to him? He used to be pretty consistent?

Irishbutterfly - I have no eprop envy, nor do I have Marky mark jelousy :-p

 
At 5/28/2006 10:58 AM, Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

He said he's over it now. In his words, he can't commit to anything for more than 6 months or so. I'm actually going to hang out with him today (in the suburbs of course; he never hangs out with me in the city) so I'll make sure to hassle him about it (again).

 
At 5/28/2006 11:53 PM, Blogger dani said...

woah... all this talk of moving people to the 'less frequent blogger' column has me nervous. i promise, i will blog again. esp. once i'm away from home and dial-up... i will blog again!

 
At 5/29/2006 12:24 PM, Blogger ndheathen said...

Don't worry Dani, you're safe. You still post comments and let us know you're still alive, unlike the aforementioned Southie, who has pretty much dropped off the face of the earth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home