Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A change of heart.

I decided not to register for the next actuarial exam. Whether or not this is a good decision for the long term obviously remains to be seen. I almost feel like I'm doing this on too much of a whim, but the more I think about it, the more it seems to be the right thing for the time being. I've been pursuing an actuarial career since my sophomore year. I've also been doing everything I can to experience living in a city since that time, whether it be for a summer internship or a full time job. After I graduated and was living in CT, I did overtaking I could to move up the chain, both at ESPN and on the actuarial front. At the end of last year I succeeded in both fronts in passing the first exam, and getting offered a full-time job at ESPN in NYC. For the first time in my life I have almost everything I want: a full time job, in the city, with benefits, and vacation time. Granted this is really my second career choice, but at 23, is that really so bad?

Also, since the company moved me to NYC, I'm obligated to work for them for at least a year. I haven't really been studying since I moved since I've had about a million other things that I need to get to. Also, I'd like to just come home and relax for a while. Perhaps this will give me time. I can do something like study 3 days a week, instead of 6 or 7 for several hours a day, which on top of a full time job is very draining. I don't want to move to NY and become a hermit. Also, the next 3 months of my life would just suck because I am behind where I need to be if I was to do well on this test. Also, this will give me an opportunity to focus on my current career (Hey! There's a novel idea) and try to continue to move up the chain. I'm sort averaging a promotion of sorts every 7 or so months. I'd kinda like to see if I can keep this trend going. I'll still be angry with myself if I'm not making 6 figures by the time I'm 30, but I think I need to take this time in my life to slow down for a second so I don't burn out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home