Saturday, February 11, 2006

New York State of Blog: day 1

Ok, SO I wanted to post these last night, but blogger was sucking, so I'm doing it now.

Anyway, I spent the last 2 days in NYC on business. It's a shame I can't get the company to pay for me spend every night in a hotel while I work with them. Oh well. I actually tried to blog the first night there, but I naively thought that the internet connection in my room would be free, and I was subsequently shot down. Anyway, it was good to start to prepare myself for the bit of culture shock I will eventually be receiving. Also, in a moment of brilliancy, I wrote down the thoughts I had last night so I could blog about them now.

My first thought was, how much would one tip a bellhop? Thankfully I just avoided them so I didn't have to worry about this problem too much, but since I was in a pretty swanky hotel (The Essex Hotel), I did wonder.

My second thought is on the bottled water that was in my hotel room. It had an expiration date. Could someone please explain to me how water expires?

Third, I happened to stop on Fox News* while I was doing some channel surfing and the did a report on how ND is no longer supporting the Vagina Monologues and the Gay Film Festival. Now, I've seen the Vagina Monologues when they were at ND, but did not attend the Gay Film Festival. Now, I would absolutely support these, and argue against ND not supporting these in respect to free speech blah blah blah, and the fact that I LOVED being the devil's advocate at ND, but in my head, I really can't argue with Father Jenkins' logic of not supporting/sponsoring these events. While I thoroughly enjoyed the Vagina Monologues, and would highly recommend seeing them if you have not already, they along with the Gay Film festival, which I'm sure contains many things that are sexual in natures, really are not in line with Catholic teaching. I just hope that there is someone/something in the South Bend community with the money to make sure something like the monologues can still be put on at either SMC or ND.

*Disclaimer: I was channel surfing. Even as a republican I think Fox News has a crazy right wing bias to their reporting that I absolutely abhor. I just saw something about ND and had to watch it.

Fourth, I had a big problem with the inclusion of the YES network on the cable I got in my hotel. C'mon are they trying to force feed the Evil Empire that is the Yankees to everyone that comes to NYC. The YES network ONLY has Yankee things on. At least MSG covers other sports. AAARRGGGHH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home