Tuesday, January 31, 2006

No more sonique

When I first started downloading mp3's in high school on my parents PC (remember when Napster was free and before the legal debate started) I had no mp3 player. Media Player was just awful to use, so I searched for an mp3 player. I tried downloading winamp, but for some reason it disagreed with my parents comp and didn't work, so I looked for a different program, and came across Sonique. When I got my own computer and went off to school, I continued to use Sonique because I had never had any problems with it, and unlike a lot of other mp3's players, it was a fairly small program that didn't come bundled with anything else. Every couple of months or so I would check back to the sonique site and see if there were any upgrades to the software. Last I checked was a few months ago, and they still seemed to be stuck on a alpha version of the latest player. I avoided this because after 5 years and lots of random shit on my PC, I didn't need a buggy alpha version of a program slowing down my computer. Anyway, I did my random check of the site again today, and much to my dismay, I discovered that the program is no longer supported, and it seems to be part of a package with the lycos download service. ::SIGH:: I guess I need to move on to a new program. I used Itunes on my work computer and was generally satisfied, thought not overly impressed with it. Though I could just use something like win amp and continue my aversion to anything related to the apple company.

3 Comments:

At 2/01/2006 7:45 PM, Blogger Brian South said...

Yeah, I used to use sonique, then I switched to winamp, then to iTunes. I like iTunes sorting ability, and the ability to track my stats (cause I'm OCD like that). But I still use winamp occasionally, especially for non-mp3 audio files.

 
At 2/01/2006 11:26 PM, Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

Aversion to the Apple company? I didn't think people had an aversion to Apple. I thought that's what Microsoft was for.

I'd never had a digital music collection up until a couple years ago when I lost all my CDs (gasp!) in a custody battle. I haven't used anything but iTunes, the first program I used for music. Now I have just under 13 gb of music, and it's all digital. I still hate not having CDs. I know mp3 files are safe, but still, i feel a little empty without CDs, especially since my ex and I had nearly 400 of them. If I ever win the lotto, I'm headed straight for amazon.com to fix this problem.

I use iTunes on my iBook and listen to music on an iPod. I have no aversion to the Apple company. You might even say iLove it. Tee hee hee....

Speaking of music, I stole your idea tonight. As I suspected, I listened to about 5 songs off an album rather than just one.

 
At 2/01/2006 11:42 PM, Blogger ndheathen said...

Yeah I agree that the tracking of stats was a pretty nifty feature.

Tara: Lost all your CDs! I have have 200 and that thought of losing even a small fraction of those is horribly depressing.'

...and the iLove. That was just awful. I think if I ever met you I'd get along with you really well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home