Friday, April 28, 2006

Beggars and choosers

So as I mentioned in a previous post that I am no longer a 32 waist. I could probably rectify this little issue if I stopped drinking, but I really don't have time for rational solutions. Anyway, as such, there have been several clothing items that I have "outgrown" or simply shrunk in the wash ('cause hey, I'm a guy, and I don't do any "special" loads or "hand wash" garbage).

Now, I also must mention that I bought a couple pairs of boxer briefs a few months ago to give them a trial run. I've done the tighty wighties in the past, and they are far too constricting, but every now and then the boxers ride up a little and I end up giving myself a wedgie as I walk around during the day, so I decided it was time to try the boxer briefs. Unfortunately I did this after the waist expanded, but before I had acknowledged said change in my body. As such, the trial is still on going, but needs a slight alteration.

Now, as the boxer briefs are relatively new (by my clothes standards), and as I wash my clothes fairly consistently, the briefs are in decent condition. I also wipe myself thoroughly in order to prevent the shit stains in the underwear, because really, who wants to sit around in their own shit all day?

Now, if you're still reading this at this point, first, I'm impressed, and second, you're probably wondering where this is all going. Well, I have many clothes that are too small for me, however, I do believe in donating things I don't need to those less fortunate. My quandary is this: would it be somewhat uncouth to donate used underwear? I mean, the homeless and what have you need underwear right? In theory beggars can't be choosers, but in some ways this seems like it would be sort of a dick move. Sure pants, sweatshirts, and flannel are nice, but would donating underwear just be too much of a faux pas?

On a side note, I need to find a place to donate. In CT or IN there was always a big bin somewhere in a parking lot that you could just through things into. Of course in NYC, there are not big parking lots, and if there were a bin, someone would probably break into it before the charity could pick it up. This will probably be a weekend project.

4 Comments:

At 4/29/2006 2:02 AM, Blogger Sue Ellen Mischke said...

I think most donation places don't accept used underwear. You can donate them, but if they aren't in the package, they'll toss them.

In Chicago, there are bins every few miles so they might have them in NYC. They're just on the corner here, not in a "parking lot." I once saw a guy in a van emptying one of those bins out, but he didn't seem to be from a 'red cross' type place. Just some ghetto guy with a van. I bring stuff to those bins all the time in spite of that. I don't really care if some ghetto thief guy gets it or a single mom gets it. As long as it's not clogging up my closet.

 
At 4/29/2006 12:53 PM, Blogger dani said...

yeah, most of the bins around here in k-zoo specifically say 'no underwear.' so, i guess you'll just have to through them out. if you were my grandma, you could turn them into dust rags... but you probably would be ill-advised in modeling your behavior after a 90 lbs hungarian terror.

 
At 4/29/2006 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boxer-briefs are the filet mignon of men's underwear. Do some crunches, Garr Bear, and hold onto them.

 
At 4/30/2006 12:35 AM, Blogger ndheathen said...

if boxer-breifs are the filet mingon of men's underwear, what are boxers and tighty-wighties?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home